Philips announced today that it will be launching what it calls the world’s smartest LED bulbexclusively at Apple stores starting tomorrow. The bulbs themselves work like any standard lightbulb, but use a bridge plugged into your router to allow you to personalize lighting settings and timers. This of course isn’t the first app-enabled product for the home to hit Apple Stores. Apple already sold the first and second generation of the Nest Learning Thermostat.
The hue bulbs provide all “shades of white, from warm white light to cold with light”, as well as a selection of colors and pre-programmed settings. You can even use a photo from your device as a color palette and save and program settings to activate at certain times of day. Philips said the hue bulbs consume 80% less power than traditional bulbs.
Philips will be selling a hue starter kit at Apple stores tomorrow that consists of three 50Watt hue bulbs and the hue bridge. That will sell for $199. You’ll also have the ability to purchase additional individual bulbs for $60 and add up to 50 to your existing hue bridge.
Philips is also offering the hue app and an open source platform to developers:
Philips is opening up the hue app to the developer community and has created an open source platform at www.meethue.com inviting developers to explore the app and unleash even more possibilities to show what light can do to enhance your life. You can share light scenes or get inspired on the meethue.com community site. Philips hue uses the open ZigBee Light Link standard so that it can be integrated with other ZigBee certified systems.
- Save your favorite light scenes for each room or time of day and recall them in an instant
- Use any photo on your phone as a color palette to paint your room with light and bring your memories back to life
- Tune white light from warm candlelight to vibrant, cool white light
- Create ambience or complement your decor with the colors of the rainbow
- Control and monitor your lights remotely when not at home for security and peace of mind
- Set timers to help manage your daily routine
- Let light wake you up refreshed or help your loved ones fall asleep.